numcodecs.zfpy.ZFPYcodec is now supported on Python 3.8 if zfpy==0.5.5 is installed. By haiying xu, #229.
- Add support for byte Shuffle filter By Paul Branson and Martin Durant #273.
- Update Windows + Mac CI to run all tests. By Jackson Maxfield Brown, #276. Help from Oleg Höfling, #273.
- Update cpuinfo to 8.0.0. By Florian Jetter, #280.
- Drop out-of-date manual release docs. By John Kirkham, #272.
- Add support for Python 3.9 and Update GitHub Actions.
- Add support for Python 3.9 and Update GitHub Actions. By Jackson Maxfield Brown, #270.
- Remove support for Python 3.5 which is end of life. While the code base might still be compatible; the source dist and wheel are marked as Python 3.6+ and pip will not install them. Continuous integration on Python 3.5 has been disabled. By Matthias Bussonnier, #266 and #267.
- Automatically release to PyPI. By Josh Moore, #241.
- Build wheels on github actions. By Grzegorz Bokota, #224.
- Add Base64 codec. By Trevor Manz, #176.
- Add partial decompression of Blosc compressed arrays. By Andrew Fulton, #235.
- Remove LegacyJSON codec. By James Bourbeau, #226.
- Remove LegacyMsgPack codec. By James Bourbeau, #218.
- Drop support for Python 2. By James Bourbeau, #220.
- Update Cython to 0.29.14. By John Kirkham, #168, #177, #204.
- The bundled c-blosc sources have been upgraded to version 1.17.0. This fixes compilation with newer versions of gcc. By Joe Jevnik, #194.
.pep8speaks.yml. By Alistair Miles.
- Simplify datetime/timedelta check. By John Kirkham, #170, #171.
- Update URL metadata for PyPI. By Elliott Sales de Andrade, #178.
- Enable pytest rewriting in test helper functions. By Elliott Sales de Andrade, #185.
- Rewrites the
ensure_textimplementation. By John Kirkham, #201, #205, #206.
- Add macOS to CI. By Alistair Miles, #192.
- Fix test failures on big-endian systems. By Elliott Sales de Andrade, #186.
- Use unittest.mock on Python 3. By Elliott Sales de Andrade, #179.
- Don’t mask compile errors in setup.py. By Joe Jevnik, #197.
- Allow pickles when loading test fixture data. By Elliott Sales de Andrade, #193.
cpuinfo.py. By John Kirkham, #202.
ensure_textin JSON codecs. By John Kirkham, #207.
- Support Python 3.8. By John Kirkham, #208.
- Handle (new) buffer protocol conforming types in
Pickle.decode. By John Kirkham, #143, #150.
- Use (new) buffer protocol in
MsgPackcodec decode() method. By John Kirkham, #148.
- Use (new) buffer protocol in
JSONcodec decode() method. By John Kirkham, #151.
- Avoid copying into data in
GZip’s decode() method on Python 2. By John Kirkham, #152.
- Revert ndarray coercion of encode returned data. By John Kirkham, #155.
- The bundled c-blosc sources have been upgraded to version 1.15.0. By Alistair Miles and John Kirkham, #142, #145.
- The encoding format used by the
MsgPackcodecs has been changed to resolve an issue with correctly encoding and decoding some object arrays. Now the encoded data includes the original shape of the array, which enables the correct shape to be restored on decoding. The previous encoding format is still supported, so that any data encoded using a previous version of numcodecs can still be read. Thus no changes to user code and applications should be required, other than upgrading numcodecs. By Jerome Kelleher; #74, #75.
- Updated the msgpack dependency (by Jerome Kelleher; #74, #75).
- Added support for ppc64le architecture by updating cpuinfo.py from upstream (by Anand S; #82).
numcodecs.blosc.Blosccompressor to run on systems where locks are not present (by Marcus Kinsella, #83; and Tom White, #93).
- Drop Python 3.4 (by John Kirkham; #89).
- Add Python 3.7 (by John Kirkham; #92).
- Add codec
zlib, which was incorrect (by Jan Funke; #87; and John Kirkham, #134).
- Corrects handling of
timedelta64in various compressors (by John Kirkham; #127, #131).
- Improvements to the compatibility layer used for normalising inputs to encode and decode methods in most codecs. This removes unnecessary memory copies for some codecs, and also simplifies the implementation of some codecs, improving code readability and maintainability. By John Kirkham and Alistair Miles; #119, #121, #128.
- Return values from encode() and decode() methods are now returned as numpy arrays for consistency across codecs. By John Kirkham, #136.
- Improvements to handling of errors in the
numcodecs.lz4.LZ4codecs when the maximum allowed size of an input buffer is exceeded. By Jerome Kelleher, #80, #81.
- Fixed a compatibility issue with the Zlib codec to ensure it can handle bytearray objects under Python 2.7 (#57).
- Restricted the
numcodecs.categorize.Categorizecodec to object (‘O’) and unicode (‘U’) dtypes and disallowed bytes (‘S’) dtypes because these do not round-trip through JSON configuration.
- Resolved an issue where providing an array with dtype
objectas the destination when decoding could cause segaults with some codecs (#55).
- Revert the default shuffle argument to SHUFFLE (byte shuffle) for the
numcodecs.blosc.Blosccodec for compatibility and consistency with previous code.
numcodecs.blosc.Blosccodec has been made robust for usage in both multithreading and multiprocessing programs, regardless of whether Blosc has been configured to use multiple threads internally or not (#41, #42).
numcodecs.blosc.Blosccodec now supports an
AUTOSHUFFLEargument when encoding (compressing) which activates bit- or byte-shuffle depending on the itemsize of the incoming buffer (#37, #42). This is also now the default.
numcodecs.blosc.Blosccodec now raises an exception when an invalid compressor name is provided under all circumstances (#40, #42).
- The bundled version of the c-blosc library has been upgraded to version 1.12.1 (#45, #42).
- An improvement has been made to the system detection capabilities during compilation of C extensions (by Prakhar Goel; #36, #38).
- Arrays with datetime64 or timedelta64 can now be passed directly to compressor codecs (#39, #46).
numcodecs.quantize.Quantizecodec, which provides support for reducing the precision of floating-point data, has been ported over from Zarr (#28, #31).
- Two new compressor codecs
numcodecs.lz4.LZ4have been added (#3, #22). These provide direct support for compression/decompression using Zstandard and LZ4 respectively.
- A new
numcodecs.msgpacks.MsgPackcodec has been added which uses msgpack-python to perform encoding/decoding, including support for arrays of Python objects (Jeff Reback; #5, #6, #8, #21).
- A new
numcodecs.pickles.Picklecodec has been added which uses the Python pickle protocol to perform encoding/decoding, including support for arrays of Python objects (Jeff Reback; #5, #6, #21).
- A new
numcodecs.astype.AsTypecodec has been added which uses NumPy to perform type conversion (John Kirkham; #7, #12, #14).
Other new features:
numcodecs.lzma.LZMAcodec is now supported on Python 2.7 if backports.lzma is installed (John Kirkham; #11, #13).
- The bundled c-blosc library has been upgraded to version 1.11.2 (#10, #18).
- An option has been added to the
numcodecs.blosc.Blosccodec to allow the block size to be manually configured (#9, #19).
- The representation string for the
numcodecs.blosc.Blosccodec has been tweaked to help with understanding the shuffle option (#4, #19).
- Options have been added to manually control how the C extensions are built regardless of the architecture of the system on which the build is run. To disable support for AVX2 set the environment variable “DISABLE_NUMCODECS_AVX2”. To disable support for SSE2 set the environment variable “DISABLE_NUMCODECS_SSE2”. To disable C extensions altogether set the environment variable “DISABLE_NUMCODECS_CEXT” (#24, #26).
Fixed project description in setup.py.
First release. This version is a port of the
codecs module from Zarr 2.1.0. The following changes have been made from
the original Zarr module:
- Codec classes have been re-organized into separate modules, mostly one per codec class, for ease of maintenance.
- Two new codec classes have been added based on 32-bit checksums:
- The Blosc extension has been refactored to remove code duplications related to handling of buffer compatibility.